Character Analysing

Author: Gail

Title: My Forever Home

Physical:

It dosen’t really say what the character looks like but you can infer that the character is a cat from the last sentence of the story

“I hear him at the door calling for me. “Come on Sammie, here puss puss puss. Come in, it’s cold outside.” And when he arrives home every afternoon he picks me up and cuddles me. He is worth purring for.”

The characters physical attributes play a role in the story because if Sammie could not climb trees or wasn’t a cat then 90% of the story would be different. Instead of it being about a cat’s life it would probably have to be another animal’s life and that would not suit the story line/plot of the story therefore the story would not be as good. Through the story the character, itself does not really change but his home and lifestyle does change a lot as it when from being a stray cat to a very loved cat in a nice little tree house home. These changes don’t really effect the characters experience in the story but I’m sure that if the story went on that Sammie’s life would be much better then living in a tree and trying to find food for himself as now sleeps on Ethan’s bed and is given food by Ethan’s parents.

“I sleep on his bed every night and if I go outside in the cold he worries about me.”

Intellectual:

I think that this character is a very intelligent cat, as it has to find food a shelter for the night and it finds things to do during the day. I think that this cat knows what humans mean when they mean it and why they mean it. For example

“I knew when the family all stood and looked at me that they wanted me to get inside the box. I jumped right in. Wow, I thought, I have a nice kind family. They all moved in that day.”

I feel that if that if the family had nit have adopted Sammie then he still would have survived but not as long as he would have if he had stayed as a stray cat then he probably would have died a lot earlier. In the story, I feel like Sammie learnt what the true meaning of family was and why everyone needs a family in order to survive because I feel like if Sammie had been left out there all alone that he would have died either of starvation or of loneliness.

Emotional:

I think that the character was feeling mixed emotions. Because at the start of the story he was feeling excited about finding a new home to live. But during the story he was begging to constantly feel hungry and lonely and just wanted a family to take him under their wing and then finally at the end of the story his wish came true because he became a huge part of the family. I think that this character feels happy about himself at the begging and end of the story but in the middle of the story he was beginning to feel sad lonely and hungry. During the story, the biggest challenge that Sammie faced was trying to find a home at the begging of the story. Some emotions that Sammie had to overcome through this experience were loneliness and hunger/thirst.

Social:

Sammie seems to bond well with the only other three characters in the story. Considering they became his forever family, he does not really get a choice to like them but it is lucky that he did like them. Sammie bonds the best with the little boy named Ethan. This character chooses Ethan because he feels that Ethan will accept him the most. In the social order, he stands as a valued family member. That is just the way that I see it and other people who have read the story might see it differently by that is my opinion.

Philosophical:

I think that Sammie believes that he is a very smart cat and enjoys being set free but enjoys being with a family more. These beliefs are based on Sammie’s behaviour throughout the story and what he does. These beliefs effect the choices that the character makes because if he was not ready to move in with a family and was not getting sick of finding his own food then he would have had to jump into the box with family, which luckily he did do. I personally do not think anyone else in the story shares the same beliefs with him as no one else in the story had a home for the start of their life then was homeless and then had a home.