Themes

Author: Anneke

Title: Joseph Bryant

Themes are abstract nouns:

The ideas and feelings help me understand the theme/concept of the story. The theme to this story is loss, love and hope. It is loss because the young girl narrating the story loses her best friend she states at the end of the story  

And Joseph Bryant, my fifth grade sweetheart, is the reason why I know the true definition of love.”

The second theme is Love and the reason for this is the whole story is about how Joseph was diagnosed with cancer and when he told the love of his life she was sad and as they were both only in year 3 they didn’t understand how server cancer could actually be. Until the day Joseph died.

The final theme is hope. They were hoping that Joseph wouldn’t die. The girl was also hoping that when Joseph told her he was going to kiss her.

“I thought Joseph was going to kiss me or tell me that he wanted me to be his girlfriend, I remember having butterflies in my stomach and wondering what my mother would say if I had to tell her that I got myself a boyfriend. But I soon snapped back into reality once Joseph told me that he had cancer.”

Themes are important human issues:

After this story, I think the author wants you to talk about what the story meant to you and how it has influenced or opinion on losing someone or what the main message is.

To me the author is saying that you should each and every day because it may be the last and the author is also saying you don’t need to date every one as you have your entire life to do that. To me those two things is also the message of the story. 

Stories apply to many readers:

To people you have experienced loss themselves or have seen someone losing a battle. Once again theme comes in a lot here as people who have also experienced love and hope. This short story is sad and can really make you think differently about things.

Events represent ideas:

I think that this story did have just a little bit of figurative language. Here are a few different parts of the story that were figurative language:

Love is a dumb and dangerous word. People misuse the word more than any other in the dictionary. “I LOVE this apple, don’t you?” or “I just LOVE this shirt!” but do they actually mean it? Most people don’t understand the actual definition of love. I do, which is why it frustrates me so much when people say that they love each other when they don’t. I know for a fact they don’t. And don’t even get me started when people say they are “in love” with someone else. That phrase is destroyed by couples that say how they are “in love” with someone after a month of texting. They don’t and never will understand the true meaning of love.”

That is the entire first paragraph of the story but to me it 90% of it is figurative.

Experience evolves in patterns:

A repeating pattern in this story is depression. For example:

““What is cancer?” and immediately she started crying.”

“Three years went by. Three painful years of visiting Joseph every single day in the hospital. Well, almost everyday; sometimes he was too sick for me to visit.”

They are two different examples from the story of depression.

Fiction is instructional:

The author doesn’t say anything about the themes you have to guess what the theme is to the story as I have already said twice the theme/s for this story are loss, love and hope. (To see why they are the themes go to the top of this post and read Themes and abstract nouns). In this story I think that something they want changed is Joseph’s family would him to survive and his cancer to go away.

One thought on “Themes